View My Stats

View My Stats

Friday, October 21, 2011

Europe Tour-Day 7--- Milan ( 21 Oct 2011)

I forgot to mention my misadventure on Day 5. When we got back to the hotel room with the Beajoulais, I realized that we did not have a corkscrew to open the cork.I padded down to reception in my nightsuit and slippers and asked for a corkscrew. The lady had one readily available ( either she kept getting such requests frequently or she had kept it for self-defence). I told her that I didn't know how to use the corkscrew.She put the corkscrew in but didn't have the strength to pull the cork out.So there was the bottle on the reception counter and me and the reception putting our hands together to force the plug out.Anybody coming in then would have thought we were in a wrestling match.

The cork broke and part of it was still stuck in the bottle.So I asked her if I could take the corkscrew back to the room.She said OK.In the room, I pushed down again with all my might and the cork went into the bottle!! Well, the Beajoulais did have a corky feeling thereafter.

Right, the alarm rang at 5.15 AM on Day 7.We got ready and were checked out by 6.30 AM.We left our luggage in the reception and went up to the 1st floor to have our breakfast.At 6.45 AM, we strolled down to Interlaken West and were there by 6.50 AM.The train came in at 7.05 AM and we reached Spiez at 7.21 AM.The next train to Milano Centrale was at 8.0 AM on Gleise 3 ( Platform 3).It was bitterly cold on the platform and we went into a heated waiting room Our Coach was No 5 ( Seats 11 and 13) in the 7 Coach train.The position of the Coach was clearly marked on the platform so we knew where to stand.

The train came in and we boarded.

Goodbye Switzerland. Couple of things we had noticed about the Swiss.They are very friendly, the country is very tourist friendly, many women have nose rings and everything is quite expensive.At this time of the year, it used to be dark till around 7.30 PM and there is sunlight till almost 7 PM. In fact, we saw the moon shining bright at 6.45 AM.

Right, we steamed into Milano Centrale at 10 .30 AM.The station is a magnificent art-deco building.The other thing we noticed about all these stations. Apart from being the place to board trains, they are also hubs for shopping and eating.We took a couple of photographs there.

The map said that the distance to Madison Hotel was 1 KM.With all our luggage,we decided to take a taxi.Before we could properly settle down in the taxi, we were at the hotel.Fare was only 5 Euros and this was the Best Western Madison. We checked in. Clean rooms, if a little smaller than the ones we had in Zurich and Interlaken.The bathroom also had a bidet. Hmmm!!!

We headed out again and asked at the reception for directions to get to the starting point of the sightseeing tour.The Metro Station was right beneath Milano Centrale.We went to the ticket counter and were figuring out how to get the tickets. A helpful girl told me what buttons to punch and pretty soon I had the tickets to Lanza Teatro Piccolo. 3 Euros for the tickets and 1 Euro for the girl---- yes, she asked for some money.Not a bad way to earn pocket money!!!

4 stops away we got down and asked for directions to Furo Beunoparte.5 minutes and we were there.We checked in at Zani Viaggi office .Our voucher was in order and we were told that the bus would come at 2 PM.We were hungry so we went to a nearby cafe and ordered a Margarita Pizza and lemon soda.

At 2 PM the bus came.We were given small radios with headphones.These were to be used in the various sightseeing locations where the guide would whisper into her microphone and we could hear clearly. The guide was Elena, a middle aged Italian woman with her singsong Italian accent and the unique Italian way of rolling the r's. First stop was LaScala.I had heard about this opera house when I was a schoolboy and had determined that I would visit this place one day.Strike one from the list of 50 things to do before I die.

We went to one of the boxes and watched a rehearsal with a full orchestra playing.Sudha was thrilled. Then a short walk from La Scala Square thru the Galleria on to Duomo Square.The Galleria has plenty of shops.Took lots of photos. The Duomo Cathedral is magnificent. I have always had a fascination for Cathedrals and fulfilled my desire of seeing one more. Then on to the other sights of Milan and ending up at a Catle before heading back to the starting point.. From there, Sudha and I took a stroll down to the Galleria again and had a Burgen with french fries and pista ice cream---- heaven !!!We strolled hand in hand and did some window shopping and have decided to come back tomorrow to the same place.

I forgot to mention the Last Supper. This is at the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazia.What a masterpiece!!! I had read so much about this and to see it in person was so thrilling.The painting is in perspective so you get the same sense of proportion whether watching it 10 feet away or 100 feet away.This was painted in the Refectory of the Dominican Monks. I innocently asked the guide why the person to Jesus's right looked like a lady.Elena ( the guide) told me that I'd obviously read the Da Vinci Code but didn't say anything more.

Haven't found anything yet for the beauties in our family.We've just seen a Zara's outlet and perhaps we'll go there tomorrow.

Came back to the hotel via Metro by 8 PM and went to bed.

Fully updated now. Tomorrow we check out and leave the hotel but keep the luggage there.

No comments:

Post a Comment