View My Stats

View My Stats

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

2003----- Quizzes, trips and a shorter commute

2003--- Quizzing and other activities

2003 was significant for me in various ways----- a revival in my quizzing activity, more trips abroad and a change in my office location
In January 2003, I undertook a trip to Seoul, Taipei and Singapore.I flew Malaysian Airlines via KL to Seoul. When the plane was approaching Seoul, the stewardess announced that the temperature was 2 DegC. However, I saw bright sunshine and assumed that it wouldn’t be so cold. As soon as I came out of the airport, an icy blast hit me and my nose turned blue in an instant. I had only my jacket with me and one of the first things I did was to buy a pair of gloves.

I spent a couple of days in Seoul and roamed around at will in the subways.I also visited Gangnam which is actually a suburb of Seoul but became world famous later for “Gangnam Style”. I looked up for Indian restaurants and found that “Ganga” Restaurant which I had discovered in Busan the previous year had a branch in Seoul also. It was a 45 minute ride by taxi, but was worth the money I spent.
I also had carried plenty of MTR food packets. I remember opening one Bisibele bath packet in my hotel room after soaking it in hot water for 5 minutes in the hotel sink. The karavensoppu ( curry leaves) aroma that I got on opening the packet still stays with me.
From Seoul, I travelled to Taipei via Hong Kong. This was my first visit to Taipei and I took some time off to explore the city. The Metro has been well developed in Taipei and I was surprised to see almost an underground city with plenty of shops below ground.
February 2003 saw me travelling to Singapore for a couple of days. As soon as I came back, my colleague Ramkumar Shankar and I represented Sanmar in the Chennai Regional Round of the AIMA Quiz. This was the first time we had teamed up. Ramkumar was already a veteran in the Chennai quizzing circuit and was catching up with his quizzing friends as soon as we reached the venue.

 To our great surprise, we won the Chennai Regional Round and were soon on our way to Kolkata to take part in the All- India Finals on 14th Mar. Arun Lal, the cricketer , was the Chief Guest. We came third in the All- India finals and it was a proud moment for us.
Our seniors in Sanmar were very happy and promptly agreed to sponsor us in the many corporate quizzes that were being held---- Brand Equity, Tata Crucible,LIBA Quiz and many more. With all the prizes that we were winning, I had accumulated about 6 watches, around 4 pairs of Titan Fastrack eyewear, Rs.500 vouchers for everything from deos to a car ( just kidding!!).
Meanwhile, Sachin had got through his CAT. He first got admission to IIM, Kozhikode and we also remitted the fee of Rs.40000. He subsequently got admission to IIM,Indore and chose the latter. Sudha accompanied Sachin to Indore in June 2003.Her friend Kuckoo was living in Indore and , in any case, Sudha had grown up there, so it was familiar territory.
Sudha and I  were now experiencing the empty-nest syndrome. Sachin had gone to Indore and Sandeep was now into his second year in XIME, Bangalore. Sudha and I were both proud of the fact that both our sons were doing MBA. Sandeep had by now shifted to a room with two of his friends in Electronics City since he was finding the daily commute quite exhausting.

In July 2003, I made a trip to Bangladesh.I was given the name and address of a potential agent in Dhaka. When I visited their Office, I was surprised to see Rajesh ( Akhila’s brother-in-law).Rajesh was living in Dhaka and was working out of the Office of the person whom I had come to meet. I visited Rajesh’s house for dinner and also met his wife Aarya. I remember that we also went to Khana Khazana, which was a restaurant opened by Sanjeev Kapoor, the celebrity chef. I also went to Chittagong for a couple of days before returning to Chennai. This was followed up by another visit to Bangladesh in Aug 2003.
A major event occurred in Sep 2003. Our office got shifted from Karapakkam ( a 15 km commute each way) to Cathedral Road which was in the heart of the city and hardly 4-5 km from my house. Earlier, I used to leave home by 7.30 AM in a pool car and Sudha had to get up early to make my breakfast and also pack my lunch. Now, I could leave by 8.15 AM and , since I was using my own car, a couple of minutes here and there didn’t matter. This was a big relief for both of us and did much to improve our quality of life.

While I was busy quizzing in Chennai, Sandeep was active in the quizzing circuit in Bangalore. He had teamed up with his class mate Sai Venkat and they were winning quiz competitions left and right. Like me, he had also built up a good collection of watches, eyewear and 1 Philips DVD player which he had won at the TAPMI, Manipal quiz competition.

I visited Sachin once in Indore during an official visit and also managed to meet up with Sandeep at XIME on his birthday in Oct.


So that’s how 2003 ended--- an empty nest, Sudha and I busy with our respective careers and the boys on the threshold of completing their studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment